Since the temperature is still at a steady 85 degrees, I thought I would try to bring some “fall atmosphere” into my kitchen this morning. With that in mind, I whipped up a quick bowl of some good old-fashioned oatmeal with fresh apples and spices. And though I may be uncomfortably hot when I try to wear a long sleeve flannel outside, this recipe hits the right spot in terms of feeling like it’s actually fall (even though there are just a few more days until it is officially fall).
Perfect Fall Oatmeal:
- Oatmeal (I used quick oats)
- Apples (cut up into bite size pieces)
- Spices- cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice- whatever you prefer!
- Cook oats according to package
- Once the oats are nearly finished cooking, add the spices and apples. I eyed how much spice I wanted in my oatmeal, so the amount of spice is up to you (1/2 a teaspoon could be a good start)
- Add any extra toppings you want! I didn’t have any raw nuts at home, but I would have added pumpkin seeds, almonds, or cashews if I had some. Brown sugar will add some more sweetness to the oats also.
Note: My oats were thick, so if you prefer thinner oats, I would either add more water when cooking the oats, or add almond milk to the oatmeal right before serving.
What are you most excited about for the upcoming fall season?